The Post Adoption Special Services Subsidy (PASSS) program is a federally supported program for post-adoptive families of children with special needs. In Ohio, this program was originally administered at the county level and recently moved to the state level. PASSS provides up to $10K in funding per adopted child with special needs per year, to help cover the costs associated with specialized services, resources, and more.
Applications are submitted directly to OhioKAN and then reviewed by ODJFS for approval and funding. OhioKAN Navigators are available for any questions at 1-844-OHIOKAN (1-844-644-6526) Monday - Friday 8:30am - 6:30pm.
The purpose of the Post Adoption Special Services Subsidy (PASSS) is to assist Ohio families after the finalization of their adoption.
- The subsidy is available to all adoptive families regardless of the type of adoption (international, attorney, public or private agency), with the exception of step-parent adoptions.
- The child does not have to meet either the federal or state definition of special needs to receive this subsidy.
- Each child may be eligible for up to $10,000 ($15,000 if residential treatment is recommended by a qualified professional) per state of Ohio fiscal year - which begins on July 1st and runs through June 30th.
- PASSS funds may be used for reasonable costs of services to address the child's physical condition, developmental disability, mental health, or emotional condition that either existed prior to the adoption or developed after the adoption and can be attributed to factors in the child's preadoption background, medical history, or biological family's background or medical history.
- PASSS funding happens on an annual basis and needs to be applied for each year. July 1st is when the new year starts, in line with the state of Ohio fiscal calendar.
- Your PASSS funds for the current year will expire on June 30th. If you require continued services beyond July 1st, please submit a new application for the upcoming state fiscal year.
PASSS Application Process
Steps to Apply
Start your application via PASSS Online Portal or by requesting a paper packet by mail
Review application with an OhioKAN Navigator, who will help you gather and package all required documents
OhioKAN submits your application to ODJFS for state approval and funding determination
Receive notification from ODJFS about application approval and/or next steps
Check on Application Status
Looking to check the status of your application? Reach out to your assigned OhioKAN Navigator who contacted you and helped you submit your application. If you are unsure who your OhioKAN Navigator is, feel free to call anytime M-F 8:30a - 6:30p ET to speak with a Navigator.
The following eligibility requirements must be met in order to qualify for the PASSS program:
- Child/young person resides in Ohio with the adoptive family
- Child/young person has been adopted by someone other than a step-parent
- Child/young person has a physical or developmental disability or mental or emotional condition that either existed before the adoption petition was filed or developed after the adoption petition was filed and can be directly attributed to factors in the child/young person’s pre-adoption background or medical history, or biological family’s background or medical history
- The child/young person is under the age of eighteen OR the child/young person is at least eighteen years of age and less than twenty-one years of age and has been diagnosed with a mental or physical disability
- Other sources of assistance are inadequate or are unavailable to meet the child/young person’s immediate needs
Ways to Apply
If you are familiar with the PASSS application and are ready to start your application, you can complete the application in three ways:
The simplest way to apply for PASSS is by using the Online PASSS Portal, operated by the State of Ohio. Please note, you will need an OH|ID, which you can set up as part of this process if you do not have one already.
You can request a paper application by mail, complete it at home, and return it via the provided pre-paid return envelope. Please send your application and related documents to:
OhioKAN PASSS Processing Department
P.O. Box 91039
Cleveland, OH 44101
Please note: if you request a paper application packet mailed to you, you will receive a pre-paid, pre-addressed return envelope which can be used to return your entire application to OhioKAN.
If you would like to talk with an OhioKAN Navigator to learn more and receive 1:1 personalized help completing your PASSS application, simply contact us using a method below. Upon talking with an OhioKAN Navigator, you can schedule an in-person appointment if desired as well.
- Call: 1-844-OHIOKAN (1-844-644-6526) Monday - Friday 8:30am - 6:30pm
- Email: Submit PASSS related questions via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternative Ways to Connect: Click here for additional ways to connect, including text message
Resources for Providers
As a provider of PASSS services, we understand the importance of having access to the most accurate and current information regarding the PASSS program. For a comprehensive understanding of the program, we encourage you to explore the following links:
- Administration of the post adoption special services subsidy (PASSS) program (Rule 5101:2-44-13)
- Eligibility and application process for the post adoption special services subsidy (PASSS) program (Rule 5101:2-44-13.1)
If you have any questions or require further clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email at JFS_PASSS@jfs.ohio.gov. Thank you for your commitment as a PASSS service provider.
Please use the links below to download the PDF version of the PASSS Application. These forms are fillable and can be completed on a computer, or printed and completed by hand. Once complete, applications should be mailed to OhioKAN's PASSS Processing Department. You can also scroll down below to request a mailed paper application, including a pre-paid, pre-addressed return envelope.
|Form||Type||Form Name||Download Link|
|Portal Application Checklist||Checklist||PASSS APPLICATION CHECKLIST (ONLINE PORTAL)||Download Form|
|Paper/Email Application Checklist||Checklist||PASSS APPLICATION CHECKLIST (PAPER/EMAIL APPLICATION)||Download Form|
Below you will find both required and instructional forms to complete your PASSS application.
|Form #||Required For||Form Name||Download Link|
|JFS-01681||Required for All||Applicant Financial Statement||Download PDF|
|Paper & Email||Application for Post Adoption Special Services Subsidy (PASSS)||Download PDF|
|JFS-01420||Paper & Email||Authorization to Release Confidential SACWIS Information||Download PDF|
|As Applicable||Application for Additional PASSS Funding for Extraordinary Circumstances||Download PDF|
|As Applicable||Credentials of Professional Providers of PASSS Funded Therapeutic Services and Memorandum of Understanding||Download PDF|
|Respite Provider Information||As Applicable||Respite Provider Information - Fillable Form||Download PDF|
|JFS 04059||Instructional||Explanation of State Hearing Procedures||Download PDF|
Request Application by Mail
Please use the form below to request a PASSS application be mailed to you. This will include a pre-paid, return address envelope for mailing your completed application back to OhioKAN.
PASSS Full Application Preview
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.
Get News & Updates
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest information from OhioKAN.
Whoever you are, whatever you need to discuss, our dedicated team of Navigators and staff are on-call, ready to talk with you!
You can always email us with any questions, comments, or ideas you have. Please use the email contact form below.
Partner With Us
We are always seeking partnerships with community organizations throughout the state. Please use the provided form below.